Monday, January 05, 2015

DIY Flannel Board


I made myself a flannel board.

Flannel boards are a handy teacher tool.
They can be used for a multitude of things.

Retelling Stories
Sequencing
Patterns
Math Concepts
Colors
&
much, much more.

I wanted to purchase one to use for awhile now, but they can be pretty pricey.

I thought the next best thing to buying one was to make one of my own.

I went to a few local thrift stores to look for old funky picture frames that I could either use just the frame itself with a particle board attached or something similar.

I ended up finding an old cork board instead.

I bought some flannel and some colorful buttons to decorate the frame to make it more appealing.


cork board = $2
flannel = $2.47/yard
buttons = 3 packs/$1.50 each
paint and extra buttons (already had)
glue gun

for a total of less than $10 I made my very own flannel board
(which is actually two sided, so it's even more versatile) 




I spray painted both sides of the cork board frame


I cut the flannel just slightly larger than the cork board
I sprayed a thin line of glue along the edges using my glue gun
Next, I used a screw driver to push the fabric underneath the frame


I used my glue gun to attach some bright colorful buttons all around the frame.
I actually did this on both sides of the cork board - so my flannel board is actually double sided.

awesome!


I made some fish out of felt.

I also found some printables on line from various sources.

I printed them out and then laminated them.
I glued a small piece of velcro to the back of the printables so that they would stick to the flannel


Do you like my handy dandy laminator?
It was a Christmas gift from the kids.
I know I will get a ton of use out of it.


The Hungry Caterpillar and Brown Bear, Brown Bear printables can be used for 
sequencing events 
or for retelling the story.


Dogs, Numbers, Colors and Bones
can be used for a multitude of lessons
colors, patterns, math, etc.

  

Just like my new fancy little laminator, I'm sure I will get plenty of use out of this 
little flannel board for many years to come.

It is such a fun way for children to incorporate with learning. 



No comments: