Saturday, December 06, 2008

Strained Lumbar

I'm not sure if I ever explained what I do as a certified nursing assistant (cna). I know I've complained about having to work and I also mentioned a few things here and there about work. But, I try not to talk about work too much, because you never know who may be reading this blog.

I do know that one day after complaining about how much laundry I had to do, someone at work asked me if I ever got all that laundry done. I didn't think anything much about it other than how did she know I was working on laundry, until I realized that I had blogged about it.

It's not that hard to find my blog. I have it posted on MySpace and Facebook, plus a few blog sites and such. But it was kind of weird thinking that someone I work with could be reading this. So I decided I wasn't going to post much about work anymore. I don't need the extra attention, if you know what I mean.

(((On a side tracked note: I also remember how weird it was when I had my weekly column in the local newspaper. I would write about things going on in my town, and I always added a little tidbit about myself or the kids. Basically, because SO many people are curious when you tell them you have six children. And I remember total strangers coming up to me and making comments about what I wrote))).

However I did want to touch on a few things we cna's do, to explain what the heck I'm talking about. Being a cna is a physical job. It's A LOT of walking, lifting, etc. We do all of the basic care of the elderly. In a nursing care facility, cna's bathe, feed, change, get residents (patients) out of bed, into bed, walk them, shower them, etc. Lots of people get hurt doing this job. It's definitely hard on your back.

I have had this job for over five years and I've never gotten hurt. Sure, I've had general aches and pains. I've bumped into beds and left bruises, I've been punched, hit, bitten, peed on and even spit on. I've even slid on the floor and fell on my knee and never reported it. I just chalked it up to stupid crap I've done, I mean I am pretty clumsy and uncoordinated.

But, Friday night as I was lifting someone into bed (with help), I felt pain I never felt before. I felt a popping, feeling. I told the girl I was working with that I thought I hurt myself. She in turn told me to fill out paperwork. I said I would, but ended up busy and left without thinking of it. Later when I got home, I realized that I really didn't feel well, my back hurt.

Long story (and this was way longer than I wanted it to be) short, after a trip to the hospital.....I strained my back. So, I have the next two days off, a prescription for muscle relaxers and Motrin. I was also told to use a heating pad.

So there you have it. It took five years, but at least I didn't do any major damage. A lumbar strain sounds so much better than a herniated disc. Especially after watching Rich go through all his back problems, you know? Now if only I can keep Nicholas and Nathan from jumping all over me for the next couple days, I'll be all right!

3 comments:

TxGambit said...

Soft hugs! I hope you get to feel better soon. I have a herniated disk and ouch, it hurts!!! Sometimes when it gets irriated, I am almost pukey from the pain.

~B. said...

Ouch...so sorry, Char. Here's hoping that a little rest is all that you need...and that you actually can get that rest.

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Hope your feeling better soon.