Monday, August 08, 2011

Design Your Own T'Shirt - Sandpaper Iron On


It worked...it really, really worked!  

I saw this posted somewhere and wondered if it would actually work and it did.  And it was so much fun.  I had planned on it being a craft project for Nathan and Nicholas, but once everyone saw how the shirts came out, the whole family wanted to make one and I ran out of sand paper.

All you need is crayons, t'shirts, sand paper (we used fine grit 150 -180), foil, cardboard and an iron.


First color your design on the sandpaper (rough side up).



Wrap a piece of cardboard with foil...be careful not to wrinkle the foil.  The cardboard and foil keep the design from bleeding through the shirt.


Place the sandpaper (design side down) where you want it on the shirt and iron on a warm setting.  Pressing about 10 seconds or so over each section.



And wahlah...


Supposedly, you can wash the shirt in cold water and line dry and the design will stay on the shirt. I haven't washed them yet, so I can't tell you for sure if that part works.




Make sure that if you want to write something, you write it backwards.

(I, of course had to try it out first ;))

This craft was Easy Peasy and Fun, Fun, fun!!!


Linking to....

6 comments:

Jackie said...

That's pretty neat! My son would definitely love this!

Jaelma said...

What a gr8 craft project! I would love to use this for my GIRLS group at church. Will you please let us know how they wash? I am going to try this at home first with my children so I will let you know how it turns out! Thanks sooo much for sharing!

Caren with a "C" said...

That is a great idea! I'll have to do that with my kids. I bet you could look up on the internet to see how to set crayon on fabric.

Yummy Mommy Mia said...

Awesome idea! We're going to try this on Friday!

Unknown said...

This is so cool! I love it does such a great job.

design your own t-shirt said...

Wow! This is really awesome idea, after seen your blog I am going to make this kind of art to my new t-shirt and I am dam sure that I will make it beautiful.