Friday, May 13, 2011

Padded Fabric Bulletin Board

I made this padded fabric bulletin board today.  It came out okay and looks fine all covered up with papers, but I messed it up a bit when I made it.  And it was such a huge pain in the butt, that I'm not sure if I'll make another one.


Here's how I did it....I took a sheet of hard foam board from the dollar store (you can find it by the poster board).  Then, I used spray adhesive to attach some quilt batting to the board.  Next, I took some fabric squares that were leftover from another project and sewed them all together.  I couldn't figure out how to get the fabric to stay on the board, nothing that I tried worked...so, I ended up pining the corners and taping them with clear packing tape (the only tape I could find) LOL.  I thought I could make it stronger by sewing the fabric to the board (I used the zipper foot on my sewing machine and it worked). 

I added some ribbon in a criss cross pattern by taping the ends to the back of the board as well.  That's where I messed it all up, the lines weren't even, but I didn't notice until Sarah pointed it out.



 I hand sewed some buttons where the lines criss crossed and attached a ribbon to the back to hang it on the wall.  Needless, to say the back of it is a hot mess....and the lines were uneven, but other than that, it came out kind of cute.   But, it looks better when covered with papers (so you can't see all the imperfections haha).

I may try to make another one some day when the urge strikes and hopefully I can perfect it a bit.  Like I said, it's cute, especially when it's covered with papers.....




Post a Comment