Wednesday, November 07, 2012

get in the picture

For a long time I avoided cameras.  When a camera came out, I hid.  I was self conscience about my appearance and didn't want to have any embarrassing pictures of myself.  Plus, like most of my mom friends, I was always the one taking the pictures.

 
Then, I started to look around the rooms in the nursing home that I worked in at the time and I saw picture after picture of these beautiful women with their families....smiling and looking as though they were loving and enjoying every minute of their life.
 
It made me think.
It made me sad.
It made me realize that something was missing from my family's pictures
 
and that something was
 
me.


 
 
My children weren't going to have any photos or many photos of me enjoying life and smiling and looking as though I loved every minute of being their mother.

 
 
 
I got over my self-esteem issues and started joining them in pictures, as you can see there are plenty of me in the pics with my kids on my sidebar.  Yeah, there are some doozies of weird faces, a chubby body, heavily edited and cropped and some questionable "what was she thinking" hair styles. 
but, there are now tons of pictures of me and of me with my kids and of me with their dad.
 
  Your children aren't going to look at those pictures and think...Gosh, Mom looked horrible...or fat...or her clothes are hideous.  They are going to look at those pictures and smile and be happy and remember all the fun times they had with you.


and one day when I'm old and sitting in a nursing home, I will be glad to have all those family photos too.  My children will not only have great memories of their childhood and family life growing up...but beautiful pictures as well.
 
 
do yourself and your children a favor and get in the picture!
 
I'm joining the Power of Moms "Get in the Picture" photo challenge.
 
 

3 comments:

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

What a beautiful post, Charlene!

I have to work really hard to remember to turn the camera over to my hubby...but I so want my girls to have pictures of me, enjoying time with them. There are oodles of pictures of me growing up, but so few of my parents. I really wish I had more. :)

Kyrstin said...

I am always the one taking the pictures in my family too! I really need to get in more of the pictures like you said. Thanks for the inspiration.

Liesl Garner said...

What a great thought. I have a picture of me with each of my little guys - that is on a shelf in my room. The boys love looking at those pictures of themselves WITH me. I appreciate you bringing this up. My own insecurities and how I don't exactly look like my Facebook Profile Picture very much anymore, keep me from doing this. I appreciate this challenge. And I look forward to some fun pictures with the boys.