Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas Memories

Fun, Fun, fun....I was going through some old photos that my mom had given to me and found some old Christmas ones. I just had to scan them and share them with you, and not just because I was such a little cutie either ;) But because looking at these old photos made me remember some really great holiday memories that I thought I would share along with the pictures.



I don't really remember much about this one, it looks like I was about 2 years old here. I can tell you that I still LOVE the taste of peppermint and candy canes...LOL! And don't you just love those little footie jammies - cute huh?



This one had the year 1976 on the back and that would have made me 4 years old at the time. I don't remember much about this year either....I guess my memories don't go that far back. But it's a cute picture, so I had to share it, ha!



In this one I'm about 5 years old and that's my Grandma Tressler (my mom's mother). I used to love going to her house every summer. She was a fun grandma and had a huge backyard. She had a rose garden that I loved sitting in the middle of and smell the flowers and play with my Barbies (I guess that's one of the reasons roses are one of my favorite flowers). I loved her house. I loved the laundry shoot, that we would get yelled at for rolling Matchbox cars down. I remember her making homemade ice cream. I remember that my grandpap would slice ice cream from the carton, a trick that I use today with my own kids. I still have the dollhouse furniture that my grandfather hand made for me one year for Christmas (one day I'll have to get it all out and take some pictures to share). I once had a lady offer me over a hundred dollars for that furniture. I turned her down flat...even though it will never be played with again, it is a treasure that I will always keep.

Another fond memory was every Christmas our entire family would get together at their house. We would eat dinner and exchange gifts. Everyone picked a name for the secret santa and we would go around the room, oldest to youngest and pick names out of a hat and buy that one person a gift. It's a memory that has stuck with me for years. When we would sit down for dinner, the adults would sit in the dining room and the kids in the kitchen. Clearly, you can see how much I treasure those times.



I was 6 years old in this picture. See, I can be an angel - when the need arises.



The date on this one says 1979 - making me 7 years old. Not sure if you can see it in the picture, but my mother used to have this plastic fruit/lifesaver like garland that she put on the tree every year. For some reason, every time I see a multi pack of lifesavers I think of this garland. Another year after my younger brother had just learned all the states and capitals, my mother took a USA puzzle and made ornaments out of all the states.

I also remember my mom would complain every year about the tree not fitting back in the box. I remember we had black electric tape wrapped around the box trying to keep the tree in the cardboard box until the next year. Now every year, when I dig out our own tree, I flashback to that black taped up box hahaha - ah, the stupid stuff that floods our memories.



This one is dated 1980 (I was 8, for those keeping track). For some reason it's the last one I found. By the look on my face, I think it's pretty clear that this was the last year that I believed in Santa. That's my twin on the right. My mother belonged to a "Twin Club" and every year they would have a big Christmas party, where the parents would bring presents and Santa would pass them out like he brought them.

Funny how many memories one little photograph can bring back, eh? I hope you have some wonderful memories from when you were growing up as well.

And just to warn you....you have no idea what power the scanner has unleashed - expect more fun memories and old pics to come. Thanks for letting me share my Christmas memories with you!

2 comments:

MoonNStarMommy said...

LOLOL!! I have been meaning to do the same type of thing, but my husband won't show me how to get it to work, cuz I can't seem to figure it out! Grrrrrrrrr

It's always nice to have this sort of memory road trip though.

6 kids - wow!! I have 4! LOL... mine are all boys!

Visiting from SITS ... Happy Tuesday! Hope you get a chance to sit down and breath and blog and read soon! I know I go nuts when I can't!

The Blonde Duck said...

Popped in from SITS to say hi!