Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Mean Mommy Moment

So, where to start....

After taking time to bake Christmas goodies and cookies (chocolate covered pretzels, cake balls, sugar cookies, peppermint cookies, snickerdoodles, etc.) I went to work. When I got home I noticed somebody helped themselves to the pretzels and cake balls. I was upset, but figured that goes with the territory of having kids. Went to work again tonight and came home to find out that the kids ate the rest of the pretzels and cake balls - Of which I had NONE. Didn't even take a sample of these when I made them. I was so mad that I had to leave the house.

In the past I just let things like this go. It was one of those things where I just didn't feel it was worth the battle. But now that they have done it and gotten away with for so long, they just do it and think they can, because there aren't any consequences. And I realized that I was creating a bunch of little monsters. So when I got back from the store, I sat them all down and explained that it wasn't so much that I spent alot of money buying the things to make all that stuff, and I spent alot of time doing it and that it wasn't even the fact that I didn't get any. It was the fact that after they were busted on it, they didn't even apologize. And I told them that it was my fault because I let them get away with it for so long, but now they had to pay the piper. I told them the thing that upset me the most was they didn't even realize that other people had feelings and they didn't respect mine at all.

I also told them, that I spend alot of time running them back and forth to their activities and I do it because I want to be nice. I want them to do fun things. I don't ask for much and I do those things because I want to. But it really hurt my feelings that they cared so little about me that they didn't even save one stinkin' pretzel. Then, I made them clean up the mess they made while I was at work and told them all to go to bed.

I just found this note a few minutes ago.......It's nice to know that at least one of them listened.


Dear Mom,

I'm sorry for eating the pretzels. I just took 2, and I made sure there was at least 3 left, but I guess someone ate the rest of it. I would like to say thanks for buying and wrapping the gifts for the class and my teacher. I also want to thank you for taking me to and from basketball and other activities. I know you told me that I should apologize and say thank you, so this probably means nothing, but I still want to say sorry and thanks.

Love,
Sarah


I left her a note in her backpack.

Thank you for the note Sarah. It was very thoughtful. Enjoy your apple. Love, Mom (I left an apple in her bag too, because I'm nice like that).

9 comments:

Jamie Cooks It Up! said...

Cute story! Kids....they take a lot of patience!

Found you on SITS! Merry Christmas!

Besides my food blog, I also keep a family blog you might get a chuckle out of...
www.jamieeskelson7.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Aw I don't think that you were being a mean mommy! Some day they will appreciate these lessons you are teaching them :-)


*coming over from SITS

Anonymous said...

What a cute note,I am one of seven, I have an idea of your routine. Just dropped by from SITS.

Merry Christmas,
Chris

Spring M Fricks said...

I am such a sap! The note made me cry. Did you keep it? I would keep it forever. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Charlene Juliani said...

Yep, I kept it...I keep everything. And thanks for returning the favor!

Thanks everyone for stopping by =)

TornadoTwos said...

I totally get your side in this. Yeah, I guess it comes with me having a bunch of kids, especially with boys (my husband included) who all seem to be people with black holes for stomachs. But that note your daughter wrote was so sweet. You can always count on the girls to listen :)
Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Montessori Moments said...

Thanks for visiting my blog today, I hope you'll come visit again soon!
Merry Christmas to all of you!

Paula said...

They have to hear it from time to time :) You weren't being mean, you were being a MOM!

Stopping by from SITS.

Confessions of a Stressed Out Mom said...

I'd love the cake ball recipe. I tried to make them but I think I did something wrong cause I couldn't get them stiff enough to dip in the chocolate.