Thursday, March 22, 2012

Vintage Doll House Furniture

 I can't believe that something I played with when I was a child is now called vintage - Yikes....kill me now!

When did I grow up?

I'm wondering if vintage sounds better than retro - Hmmm?

Either way, they both just sound...OLD!



This is doll house furniture that my grandfather made by hand for me when I was a little girl.

One year for Christmas, my father built a dollhouse for me.

My mother decorated it with some of my favorite clothes that she cut up to make "wallpaper", "carpet" , matching bedding for the bedrooms, etc.

She also made little planters with beads and yarn.


My grandfather handmade all the furniture for the house.

There was a kitchen, a dining room, a living room, a bedroom and a den, all full of furniture.

He made little serving bowls and vases (using a pit from a peach).


My aunt even got in on the act and knitted some doiles to use as tablecloths.



Don't you just love the attention to details that he made?



the rockers actually rock


the sink faucet actually moved back and forth and was made from little nails


if you look closely, you will see the stove top has burners painted on top




Sadly, I no longer have the doll house.

But, I have kept this furniture in a storage box all these years later.

My kids have literally begged to play with it and I won't let them, unless I'm sitting right there.

It is a treasure.

A true family heirloom.

One day, I hope to gift it to a grandchild and my hopes are that they will love and treasure it as much as I do.

Do you have something from your childhood that you have kept in hopes of one day passing down to your children or grandchildren?

3 comments:

Jolene said...

I absolutely love it! I love how your family made the items. I love the details. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

Saddly, I do not have anything from my childhood memories, when I was 16 we had a fire (in my bedroom) my sister and I that shared a room lost everything. I wish I did though!

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

That is so cool!!! Truly a family treasure!

Deb Berthiaume said...

What a priceless treasure, they are just wonderful. Our hand-me -down treasure is a dollhouse that I began building with my 3 daughters and now share with my granddaughters.