Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Cherry Blossom Crafts

Did you know that this week marks the start of the National Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington, D.C.?
Not only that, but this year is the 100th anniversary.  In 1912, Tokyo, Japan gifted our nation's capital with 3,000 cherry blossom trees.

To celebrate, Nathan and I made two cherry blossom crafts.

The first one we made was a Soda Bottle Cherry Tree, that I found on Pinterest (their version was much neater than ours haha).

We took a large sheet of paper, a 2 liter soda bottle and paint.


Paint a branch on the paper and dip the soda bottle into the pink paint and press it to the paper.


The soda bottle makes a really cute "flower" design


I have to tell you this looks alot easier than it is....the bottle is hard to handle for little hands.


In fact, Nathan got mad at me, because he had a hard time and just started smearing the paint every where


 and he said mine was nicer and that wasn't "fair" hahaha


Our paintings...


The next craft we made was one we made before.


You will need a cherry jello packet (dry), popcorn, a large ziploc bag, paper, glue and a brown marker.


Make some popcorn and put it in the ziploc bag with the dry packet of cherry jello and shake it up


Draw a tree with the brown marker


And glue the popcorn to the tree


Nathan said the popcorn tasted sour and gross lol!



Hope your first day of Spring was as lovely and beautiful as the cherry blossoms.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the popcorn cherry blossoms! We have a song at my church called "Popcorn Popping" about how the blossoms look like popcorn and it reminded me of it. I am definitely going to make this with my kids. Thanks so much for the fun idea!

Jackie Higgins said...

I love the popcorn cherry blossoms. I hadn't seen that one before and it looks a little easier for my boys to do. Of course, they may just eat all of the popcorn... unless they think it's sour and gross too ;)