Tuesday, May 04, 2010

What a rip off!

I just paid $3.73 for 2 (!!!) pills at the pharmacy! What the heck!? Now, granted I only have to take 2 in a month, but still....what a flippin' rip off! It's a vitamin D supplement too, for crying out loud.  Wouldn't it have been cheaper just to buy a bottle of vitamin D vitamins?! I'm not sure, maybe they are super sonic pills or something.  It just makes no sense to me.

Here's the scoop, I had my blood work done for my thyroid.  I have/had hyper thyroidism and my doctor sent me for radiation therapy last March.  I was told to wait 6 weeks after the radiation to have my blood tested again to see if the radiation worked or not.  In the meantime, my doctor retired and I couldn't find another one to go to.  A year later my regular doctor decided it would be a good time to bring up the thyroid thing again.  He sent me for blood work for my TSH levels and vitamin D level, my sugar and some other test that I don't even remember.  Everything came back normal, except my vitamin d level was really low (hence the supplement).  My thyroid level is 4.7 and he said normal range is 5.  So basically the radiation worked and I no longer have hyperthyroidism. 

When I went in to get the radiation they told me there was a chance of either A: it not working at all and I would still be hyper B.  It would work and I'd be normal or C. It would swing in the other direction and make me hypo.  I was hoping for normal.  And that's what happened.   Praise God!  Now, I just have to have my blood tested every year to check on it and hopefully everything will stay the same.  And I have to take the vitamin D supplement twice a month for two months and then one a month for who knows how long.  Wonder what one pill will cost me? LOL!
Post a Comment