Friday, October 29, 2010

Books, Crafts And Trick or Treat Fun at the Library

We are still reading our Halloween books here....the kids love them so much.  Our favorite book this week was Minerva Louise on Halloween by Janet Morgan Stoeke.  Minerva Louise is a cute little chicken who thinks the ghost costumes are laundry hanging on the line....and that the pumpkins are her friends....and her favorite thing is the corn, she thinks the candy corn is corn, just a little on the sweet side.  Cute book! It was fun reading all her anecdotes of Halloween.  It was such a good book, that I ended up getting a few more Minerva Louise books to read.


For our craft we made candy corn flowers; using green craft sticks as stems, leaves cut out of green foam and of course CANDY CORN!! It was such a fun treat to eat thing to make, that I made one too.




I think we ate more than we glued on the paper ;-)


We also made some Candy Corn Garland

I saw this on another blog, but I can't remember where now.  We painted paper plates, Orange, Yellow and left the middle White.  After the paint dried, we cut them out in triangles (one plate made eight triangles).  I took some cute Halloweenish ribbon, and stapled the candy corn to it to make a "sweet" garland decoration.






We also made some cute pumpkin crafts using pumpkin seeds.  I just bought seeds, because I was cheating and being lazy (hahaha).  We painted some orange and some green.  Amanda drew some huge pumpkins on poster board for the boys to glue their seeds to.  She did such a great job, they were almost to pretty to glue a bunch of seeds too.









Nick's


Nate's

I baked a Candy Corn Cake for fun...just white cake, it doesn't taste like candy corn. But inside it looks like candy corn.  It was a teensy bit messy, the first piece always is.  Yummy!



I also made one of those Candy Corn Wreaths that have been all over the place, since Woman's Day magazine had one on their cover.


I bought a green wreath at the Dollar Store and painted it black.  I covered the entire thing with a coat of Mod Podge (Glossy).  Then glued all the candy corn on and added another coat of Mod Podge to finish it off. 

Originally, I was going to use a wide black ribbon as trim.  But then, I saw this cute black ribbon with a candy corn design on it....It was so cute I had to get it.  And it went so well with the finished wreath too.


Nathan goes to a story group at the library called Stories Under the Moon for ages 3-6.  This week they did some trick or treating at our favorite place.....The Library! It was really cute.  There were some cute costumes and they got a handful or two of candy from the staff.  The library is 3 stories, so they got some exercise too, walking all those stairs LOL! Perfect for all that sugar and candy hahaa!




Look Mom, a Kit Kat!


They hid "ghosts" in the stacks



Sometimes, SuperHeroes need a little rest too.....

Happy Halloween!!

Linking to....


The Girl Creative Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!


Don't forget to sign up for the EcoMom GC (below) ends Oct. 31!!

12 comments:

Kel said...

Wow! You are awesome! I love all your fun ideas and you have just saved me from thinking up today's Halloween craft because I'm going to steal your candy corn idea! :) Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

I don't know where to start. I love it all.The flowers and pumpkins look awesome. I could inhale the cake. This is an awesome post.

Thanks for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

Heather J. said...

I love all of these activities!

Debbie said...

I love all the activities with candy corn. I pulled out some candy corn yesterday thinking we could do something fun, but they got ate before we tried, not only by Selena!

Mrs. Whary said...

LOVE all the candy corn things!!!

RedTedArt said...

Oh my, what a HUGE selection of crafts and Halloweeniness! You did amazingly!! I think I would eaten all the Candy Cor too. And LOVE The candy corn garland! So imple and yet so effective!

No wonder little people were tired at the end of it all!

Thank you so much for linking to Kids Get Crafty! I really appreciate seeing all these wonderful crafts!

Maggy

phasejumper said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. Wow-you've been busy! I LOVE the candy corn paper plates...it would make a good lesson on fractions for my son! I've always wanted to use mod podge but never have...that wreath looks great!

Christy Killoran said...

Fantastic. I love the candy corn flowers!

Gidget Girl Reading said...

great stuff!

your new follower! :)

Danielle said...

Those crafts are super cute! Love them. I'm a new follower. Following your blog and your networked blog via the Halloween Hop! Have a great Halloween! Hope you'll stop by and visit. http://mylifeinjenga.blogspot.com

Steph said...

Everything looks so festive and the kids look like they're having a blast...who wouldn't love a craft you can eat?!
Stopping by from SITS

Genevieve Richer said...

Found you on SITS! LOVE it!!! YOU WINNNNNNN!!!! You're the best mom EVAH! ;-) Genius ideas! =)
Genevieve (AKA Superchick!)
www.celebrate2da.com