Friday, November 05, 2010

Cardinal and Sunflower (craft project)

Since I haven't been feeling well I haven't been doing very much, including crafts with the kids.  It's been all I can do to help them with their homework or read them bedtime stories.  Mostly, I've been sleeping off the pain I'm in.  Today, I realized how much they have come to enjoy our little projects and how they were literally starving for some mom and me craft time.  I don't think these came out as great as they could have, but Nathan didn't care.  He just wanted a 'real' project to do (and not just coloring in some boring book - his words).

We ended up reading two books about sunflowers.  The first book was Sunflower House by Eve Bunting.  This was a cute book about a boy who planted sunflower seeds in a circle and ended up with a sunflower house.  He and his friends played in the sunflower house all summer and were sad to see it come to an end when the sunflowers died.  Nathan and Nicholas asked if they could have a sunflower house next summer.


The second book was Cardinal and Sunflower by James Preller.  This book is more about cardinals than the sunflowers, but it was basically about spreading sunflower seeds and watching a sunflower grow and the birds eating the seeds. 


I was planning on making one of those pinecone bird feeders too and use sunflower seeds as bird food, but I couldn't find any pinecones large enough to do this with.  We may end up doing it at some point this winter when I find some pinecones to use.  We have a family of blue jays living in one of our trees, Nathan and Nicholas are always throwing old bread at the tree to feed the birds.

Our first project was to make some cardinal puppets.  I got the idea and the printout at Danielle's Place.  We used the blue puppet craft idea and made our's red instead.  This was a simple craft to make.  We used the printout that was included (since there were four baby birds in the book, we made four puppets).  We used red craft sticks too. 



Then we made a "nest" for the baby birds.  We took a paper plate and painted it brown, cut it in half and glued some little twigs to it.  We glued the sides of the plate to a piece of paper, leaving the top and bottom open for the puppets to sit inside.







We also made a sunflower "house" we took these little yellow paper doilies that I found at the Dollar Store and glued 4 of them to a sheet of paper.  Then we made stems and leaves for the sunflowers.  We put glue in the centers and sprinkled sunflower seeds to them.  Easy, simple and fun, not to mention cheap...my kind of craft.




One of the things I love about my kids and my family is that they are always willing to help each other.  Sure, it's not always roses and sunshine, they do fight and get mad at each other, but alot of the times they simply love each other.  The other day, while I was crashed out on the couch, Anthony was doing his homework in the kitchen.  At first he helped both his brothers with their homework and while he did his, he played with Nathan.  They colored and it was so cute listening to them.  Anthony helped Nathan draw a turkey with his hand and told Nathan to color it, which he did.  Then they drew some pumpkins and Nathan sang Anthony the five little pumpkin song.  It did this mom some good to hear that, let me tell you.

Linking to......

Shibley Smiles


I would also like to invite new readers to follow my blog by clicking on any of the sites that suits you, be it google friend connect, facebook fan page, networked blogs or twitter.  You can also subscribe to the rss feed.  Thanks for the support!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, I like what you did with those doilies! I bought some too, and you have helped inspire me in what to do with them- thank you!

Debbie said...

Great crafts! I remember that Sunflower House book!

Tracey M. said...

I'm visiting from What My Child is Reading and had a chance to browse your blog. So many things on it resonate with me (following the Lord, your craft themes, recipes, etc.) I took you up on your invitation for following and now connect on Facebook. My son and I have really been focusing on our birds lately. We don't get many being more urban than rural, but our resident blue jays love the peanuts we put out and our chickadees love the sunflower seeds. Such wonderful crafts you did this week! I love the twigs in the nests and the real seeds on the sunflowers. We don't do much crafting, but this could be my inspiration.

Brimful Curiosities said...

I do love your bird craft. My kids would enjoy making those. We grew a couple of giant sunflowers this summer. I'm not sure if we could manage a sunflower house in our small yard, but growing a few was almost as fun. I hope you start feeling better soon. It's no fun to have pain.

RedTedArt said...

Lovely to have something nice and cheery this time of year. Sunflowers are beautiful and both your birds nests and sunflowers are awesome! Love them!!

Thank you for linking up to Kids Get Crafty! Very much appreciated!!

Maggy

Unknown said...

The nest and flowers are amazing. I love that the birds are puppets.

Thanks for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I loved both crafts and also the books that came with them. It's awesome that your boys work together as a team. Thanks for joining WMCIR!