Monday, November 22, 2010

Little Cloud (Puffy Paint Craft)

The boys and I read the book Little Cloud by Eric Carle (love Eric Carle books!).  It's such a cute book and one that inspired me to make some puffy paint for the boys to have some fun art time.  In the book, a little cloud turns into different shapes before he joins the rest of the clouds for a big rain shower.


I asked Sarah to help by making some stencils of the cloud shapes from the book.  She drew the shapes of a hat, sheep, trees, planes, etc. and then cut them out.  We taped the stencils to blue construction paper and let the boys paint using the puffy paint.  When they were done, we removed the stencils and showed them their cloud shapes. 






We also made some rain clouds.  I took some black paint and silver glitter and mixed it in with the paint to make the color gray and give it some shimmer.  The effect was pretty cool. 



Puffy paint is fun to use and when it dries it looks puffy. To make it....all you need is equal parts shaving cream and glue. You can add some food coloring to make different colors for even more fun. Use a whisk to mix it all together.





Fun and easy project.  Just make sure you wash the bowl and whisk really well....who wants to taste shaving cream when they eat something, know what I mean?

8 comments:

Eschelle Westwood Mumfection said...

looks like a great time!

Unknown said...

Hey! Just thought you might be interested in checking out my latest book giveaway at amandarosetew.blogspot.com!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

What an awesome activity! My kids and I love that book.

Darcey said...

What a great idea! I like how the clouds turned out. I'm now following your blog and am looking forward to future posts.

Denise said...

That's a cute project

Lin said...

Looks like such a fun mess! :-)

I'm a new follower...would love it if you could follow back!

Darcey said...

I've already posted a comment, but this post was one of my favorites this week an I've linked up to it here: http://play2grow.blogspot.com/2010/11/weekly-favorites-november-28-2010.html