Thursday, February 25, 2010

Jello Poke Cake



This is a dessert that I remember my grandmother making many years ago. I thought it was the coolest thing ever and it tasted sooo good. Making this cake brings back memories of standing in Grandma's kitchen watching her poke holes into a perfectly good cake. And then begging for seconds after devouring the first piece. Much like my children did tonight after getting their first taste of this cake. I love those memories and I can only hope that my children will have such great, wonderful memories of me in the kitchen making them yummy treats.

Ingredients

1 white or yellow cake mix
1 3 oz pkg of jello (any flavor, I used Strawberry)
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cold water
1 container of Cool Whip (thawed)

Prepare the cake as directed on the box. Bake at 350* 30 to 35 mins. Cool in the pan for about 15 mins. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes in the cake. Dissolve the jello in the boiling water, add the cold water and pour over the cake. Chill for 3-4 hours. Spread with Cool Whip

3 Simple Ingredients
Cake after being "poked"
Cake with the jello poured over it
Jello Poke Cake

6 comments:

Mommyof2girlz/StephD said...

Thanks for the recipe I have heard of this and always wanted to try it :)

Melissa B. said...

Sounds like I might be making this yummy item this weekend. Thanks so much for sharing! SITS sent me by, and I'm glad they did...

Chicago Reflection

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

I have heard of this recipe somewhere before and have intended to make it. It looks so good. Thanks for reminding me of this great dessert!!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

I've seen these but never tried them. Maybe we'll give one a go. Thanks for the idea.

Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Angie G. said...

My step-mom makes this cake, she always uses a different type of Jell-O each time. So good. New Friday Follower.

Angela
http://nepastealsanddeals.blogspot.com/
and
http://debatethisponderthat.blogspot.com

Beth said...

Oh my gosh! My grandma used to make this too and it is to die for!! Yummmy! Happy memories!