Sunday, July 27, 2008

~*~ Nathaniel~*~

My littlest bugger, Nathan! I just love him, he brings such joy to my life!

During his pregnancy, I had alot of back and side pain. I found out that I had placenta previa (where basically the placenta is low and covers the cervix). Most of the time it moves on its own, alot of times, it means a c-section. I was scared to death when the doctor told me this. He told me to "take it easy" no sex, no heavy lifting, no strenuous housework or anything that could provoke bleeding. I came home crying. I kept thinking great another "high risk" pregnancy, why me? I told Rich and he told me to quit my job. He made the older kids pitch in with housework. They would do the laundry and bring me baskets of clothes to fold (which was the only thing Rich would let me do).

The placenta did eventually move and I didn't have to have a c-section. I was due July 29. I was so miserable towards the end that my doctor said I could schedule an induction. I said where do I sign up? On July 26, we headed to the hospital at 7:30 in the morning and by the time they registered me and I signed a gazillion papers, they put the pill (cytotec - to start the labor) in at 8 a.m. The nurse checked me and I was still at a 1 (cm dilated). I had to stay in bed for an hour, so that the pill would take place. After that I was allowed to get up, so at 9, I walked the halls, went back to bed at 10, the nurse checked me and I was a 2-3.

AT 11 a.m. She checked me again, I was at 4. By the time 12:30 rolled around I was at a 5-6 and in alot of pain, the contractions were about 1-3 minutes apart. The nurse asked if I wanted an epidural, and told me the doctor would be there by 1 p.m. So, I decided to wait until the doctor got there, but by 10 minutes til 1. I was in so much pain and I felt pressure (like I needed to go the bathroom), the nurse told me it was the baby.

At 1 p.m., I told Rich to get the nurse and get me the epidural, now! He ran out for the nurse. The "epi" doctor came in and took 20 minutes to put the epidural in. I was literally in tears at this point and really felt the need to push. But when the dr and nurse asked me if I had to push, I lied. I wanted that epi bad! LOL! But at the same time, I was afraid I would drop a baby on the floor.

By 2 p.m. my doctor was there and they were prepping the room and me. The epidural kicked in and all I felt was pressure from the baby. I felt so much pressure. After the first two pushes the doctor asked if I wanted some help (meaning the suction cup thing that scarred Nicholas' head). Rich told him "no", because he was afraid it would do the same thing to the baby. After two more pushes,he was born at 2:26 p.m He weighed 7 pounds and 12 ounces.

I was breastfeeding him, but it didn't work out very well. He wasn't getting enough. So the doctor put him on preemie formula, he lost so much weight, that I felt so guilty. He ended up down to six pounds. Which is alot of weight for a newborn to lose. To this day, I still feel horrible! Somebody was extremely jealous of his new little brother, almost every picture I have has Nicholas in it.

Post a Comment