Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day of School

I love the first day of school. Not just for obvious reasons, but I love this time of year, even though it makes me a little melancholy or blue. I love the paperwork the kids bring home that needs to be filled out. I love filling it out, even though its times five. I don't know why, I guess I'm just weird like that.

Years ago, when Amanda first started kindergarten I took her to school on the first day. It was only half a day back then. I walked her to her class, and then walked out into the hallway and sobbed like a baby. My baby girl was going to school. I think I sat the entire time in my car, crying. Every year after that, I have taken the kids to school on their first day. I walk them to their classrooms, one by one. Of course, I don't do that with Amanda and Anthony anymore (walk them to class), but I do still take them to school on the first day. The one year I didn't for whatever reason, Amanda got really upset with me. It's a tradition that has happened every year. And it means alot to the kids and me.

This year I wanted to do a little something extra. I decided to give the kids each an apple (the younger three, not the older two) to give to their teacher. Nobody does that anymore. So I thought it would be a nice gesture and the kids really thought it was fun. As we were walking down the hallways to school, we heard a lot of teachers say things like "oooh apples, that's so nice" or "can I have a bite, they look good". That made us feel really good. Zachary's teacher said "trying to sweeten me up already, huh?" Sarah's teacher wasn't in the room at the time. And Nicholas' teacher just beamed with joy and even posed for a picture (which came out really blurry - bummer). A new tradition was born! I definately think we are going to do this from now on.

Some pictures of the kids. Then stay tuned for a new entry of all the mishaps that happened today.

Nicholas going into his classroom (see the apple his teacher is holding)

Amanda - MOMmmm, stop it!

Profile of Anthony (oh my god, did he grow this summer)

The little ones holding their apples

Another one of Zachary, Nicholas and Sarah

Nathan (when I told him we were going to have all day to ourselves)

2 comments:

Sheri said...

I was wondering how you were doing today. My kids have been in school 9 days now and I must say today I miss them! OMG! I can't believe I miss them! I guess I'm being lazy today and not keeping myself busy like I usually do.... usually the time flies by!

Hope all went well today!

~B. said...

Awwww! How exciting and what a great idea about the apples!

I, too, love filling out all that paperwork. We're nuts, huh? I buy a new pen every year for back to school paperwork and the agenda throughout the year...I'm a dork like that. :P